The EVMS-Sentara Healthcare Analytics and Delivery Science Institute grant is made available through a partnership between EVMS and Sentara with the goal of developing a collaborative framework for conducting focused and prioritized research in healthcare analytics and delivery, translational research, population health, clinical trials, community health disparities and other areas recommended by the Institute's Joint Governance Board. Partnerships between clinical faculty and those with population health expertise are strongly encouraged. Proposals will be reviewed by the Institute's Research Oversight Council, with final decisions made by the Joint Governance Board. Preference will be given to projects that align with the Institute's goals and include explicit plans on incorporating the use of data analytics. Grant awards will be announced no later than Oct. 20, 2017.
Read the full RFP.
Application Process and Requirements
Step One: Letter of Intent
Due by June 26, 2017
A one-page letter of intent (LOI) is required before submitting a full proposal. Identify in the LOI the investigators and their affiliations, the care categories and target population(s), data source(s), study objective (hypothesis), analytical plan, and potential project outcomes. LOIs will be screened for relevance to the RFP. Please submit the one-page LOI to EVMSResearch@evms.edu (one single PDF file preferred). Accepted LOI decisions will be announced by July 31, 2017.
Step Two: Submission of a Full Proposal
Due on Sept. 15, 2017 by 5 p.m.
Investigators with selected LOIs will be invited to submit a full proposal. If invited to submit a proposal, a completed proposal package, including the signed Project Approval Form, must be submitted as one single PDF to EVMSResearch@evms.edu.
Required Documents for the Research Proposal Package
The research proposal must be typed, single-spaced, have margins of at least 1 inch, and use Times New Roman 12-point font. The maximum proposal length is 12 pages (including figures/tables and references), with pages numbered. The proposal should consist of the following:
- Scientific Abstract (Maximum 300 words)
- Specific Aims (Maximum 1 page)
- Significance and Innovation: Explain the importance of the problem addressed by the proposal, and the application of the proposed work to the development of new knowledge in the research area. Describe how expected results will make a clear and significant contribution to the field of scientific knowledge, technical capabilities and/or clinical practice. Describe any novel concepts or approaches used or developed by the proposed work, and any new applications/improvements in methods, instrumentation or interventions. (Maximum 1 page)
- Research Approach: Describe the overall strategy, methodology and analyses used to accomplish the specific aims of the proposal, integrating any preliminary (or published) data into the discussion of the specific aims. Discuss any pitfalls and outline contingency plans and anticipated results and timeline. Outline the scientific and scholarly opportunities made possible through any collaborations proposed. Any figures/tables used must be included within the 12 page limit. (Maximum 2 pages)
- Institute Goals: In a separate paragraph outline how this proposal fulfills the Institute's goals. (Maximum 200 words)
- References: Provide pertinent empirical studies published within the past five years. (Maximum 2 pages)
- Biosketch: NIH style bio-sketches must be provided for all investigators. Refer to the instructions, template and model. (Maximum 2 pages) Biosketch pages do not count toward total proposal page count.
- Budget: Detailed, itemized budget must be provided. Justification of all budget items is required. (Maximum 1 page)
- Roles and Interaction of PI and Collaborators: Describe in detail the roles of each member in the project and how collaboration will enhance the scope and/or ensure completion of the project. (Maximum 1 page)
- Project Approval Form for EVMS-Sentara Healthcare Analytics and Delivery Science Institute Pilot Grant Program: All investigators must be listed on the form. The completed form must be signed by all parties.